Mello Events

I am considering joining Mello Events and am seeking some feedback.

My interest is in viewing recordings of regular Mello events / presentations which may be of particular interest to me.

I wouldn’t be looking to attend meetings to question executives or for networking purposes. I don’t really have the time or inclination for that as I am retired and have other time hungry interests.

I’d be very interested to hear your experiences of Mello membership and whether you would recommend this as a worthwhile source of material and ideas.

Snazzy

the first thing I would say Snazzy, is a host of new and existing resources have balooned with content over the last year, as video has become to Go-To medium for investor connections.

I will mention a few others for you immediate consideration, that may help with some of your research:
Talking Money https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXcPPNtZSgzvwCUvWoPcVuQ
this I found recently but it appears to be very balanced and high quality content. Not WallStBets type hype.

Excellent Investing https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXAcN4QZRvzTmYjggGIPD6A/videos I also rate Mark’s content and his approach. The kind of videos that make you think rather than just hyping a particular share

PIWorld https://www.piworld.co.uk these are all free (and again on Youtube) they also run some sessions you can sign up to and participate in. They have an amazing back catalogue.

IMC https://www.investormeetcompany.com these run a system where you can set a list of companies you are interested in and then they notify you when enough interest is generated and the a presentation is planned. You can also view the back catalogue.

This is also woth signing up to for emails. https://smallcapslife.substack.com

I am sure there are others, Mello included, but thought you might like to see some of the resources I have bookmarked :slight_smile:

These guys run a podcast. I often listen to podcasts when cooking of an evening TWIN PETES INVESTING | Conkers3

No affiliation to any of these. just free resources that you and others may like.

2 Likes

Hi Snazzy

You can get a flavour of Mello Events through a few free videos (here, here and here) and the running order of past presentations (such as this one).

£125 a year, although the organiser, David Stredder, does occasionally offer discounts via social media (account here).

I suppose the Mello ‘difference’ to other investing resources is the contributions from private investors (PIs) – the BASH panel I mentioned here is a good idea. This panel provides points of view from experienced PIs, which can be of more value than insights from City fund managers, who may have to invest in a manner different to us PIs.

Mind you, I understand all the presenters on Mello are not paid, so the quality of contributor can vary. Generally viewers have no real idea whether the contributors are any good at investing. Also, the presentations do occasionally include the same old people trying to sell their book/course/fund/website etc.

I am not a Mello ticket holder, as I could not find enough content of interest from the freebie videos. But I will skim though any more freebie videos though, just in case.

The physical Mello events (pre-pandemic) offered the same mix of company/PI presentations as the videos, with the bonus of being able to chat informally with the presenters afterwards. Mello’s physical-event organisation was always a bit patchy as popular companies often attracted large crowds in small rooms. I got the impression many attendees saw the physical events as social ‘get togethers’ above anything else.

Alongside the resources riccie has mentioned, I would add Shares Magazine (free) and ShareSoc (£45/yr) for online company presentations.

Maynard

Thanks riccie and Maynard for your very helpful links and suggestions - very much appreciated.

Snazzy

Hi

Personally I love Mello as a source of ideas, and it is quite entertaining if you like that sort of thing. Well worth the money, for me, and their presentations are always available on the website afterwards if you can’t attend on the evening.

The stockslam on PI World is a good source of ideas, also.

Ben

1 Like

Thanks to all for suggestions and comments.

I decided to buy an Annual Pass to join Mello having watched the 3 historic webcasts posted by Maynard and found them interesting viewing.

It seems the typical company presentations tend to be rather speculative / early stage / recovery in nature and most opinions are more trader oriented than buy and hold. That’s not really my style but I still found them interesting and look forward to enjoying their future live webcasts and maybe I will unearth a gem along the way.

I would be interested to hear on from others is to what extent (if any) are you influenced when seeing company management present for the first time. Does a confident, knowledgeable and likeable style make you more confident of investing? Does a poor presentational style put you off investing?

I watched the first live webcast last week (26th April) and two presentations stood out for me representing both types of presentations.

On the one hand I found the Belvoir presentation by CEO Dorian Gonsalves interesting from a business perspective and he had a strong grasp of his business. However he tended to drone on and on in quite monotonous fashion and didn’t ever seem to want to stop talking. I found that a massive turn off, sufficiently so that even if I liked the business I would most likely still avoid investing.

On the other hand the Wentworth Resources presentation by CEO Katherine Roe was bright, informative and refreshing. She came across as quite impressive and could have led me to further research with a view to investing but for the fact that it is a one asset (one third owned in partnership) in natural gas supply in Tanzania (adjacent to some very volatile territory). Had I been attracted to the business I would have much more likely to invest having watched her presentation.

I think that a webcast reveals much more about management than a podcast. Just being able to see the whites in their eyes and the body language can be much more revealing.

I would be happy to attach the link to the Mello webcast but I’m not sure if this would be paywall protected or frowned upon by Mello. Perhaps Maynard might know?

Snazzy

2 Likes

Hi Snazzy

Good question. The presentations I watch are generally those where the company has already come to my attention. So I already own it, or it has cropped up on a filter etc, and I know something about it beforehand. That way investing confidence is supported initially by facts (e.g past profit growth) rather than by my opinion on presentation styles.

I am not put off by poor presenters, but if a CEO can’t get their point across to investors – then you do have to wonder if the same point can get across to staff. The most insightful part of any presentation is the Q&A, for which there is no rehearsed script and management’s reactions to pointed questions can be telling.

I am put off by really slick CEOs, who perhaps have spent more time presenting/promoting their business rather than actually running the show. Sometimes you need to separate the ‘talkers’ from the ‘doers’.

Interestingly enough, the contrasting presentation styles of the two CEOs you mention are complemented by contrasting share-price performances.

One of the shares joined the market in 2011 at c55p but now trades at 24p.

The other joined the market in 2012 at 80p but now trades at 217p.

The ‘droner’ of course runs the company with the better share price.

True, the present CEOs may not be responsible for their entire share-price performances, but the share prices do show how presentation talents may not be entirely indicative of business performance.

Incidentally I watched some of Buffett’s AGM yesterday:

Admittedly he is 90, but his presentation skills are not great and at one point he kept fumbling around for a snippet from the Wall St Journal to prove his point on tech-stock valuations. But you can’t really argue with his record.

Mello is a paid-for service, and unless Mello has already made the link freely available, then best to keep it for subscribers only.

Maynard